TWO GREAT VOLUNTEER OPPORTUNITIES = FUN!
Salvation Army – July 27 – 4pm-6pm
Seeking volunteers for this Thursday’s Salvation Army dinner – great fun while giving back to the community. If you’re planning on donating food or coming to assist, please click thru to the link below to sign up or donate:
Please sign up prior to 3pm this Wednesday.
Got questions? Contact Corinne McKeown at email@example.com or 413-539-4113
Newburyport Lions Club Annual Bed Race – August 3
On Thursday, August 3, 2017 – GNAR is sponsoring a bed for the race and seeking volunteers to construct and race the bed. All the details are detailed below. Are you good at construction? Are you good at running? Do you like having fun?
If you answered YES! to any of those questions, then contact the organizers: Neil Wilson (978) 764-6996 or Kim Weeks (978) 265-2519
See you at the races!
Newburyport Lions Club 2017 Bed Race Rules
1) The vehicle must be a bed of sturdy construction and standard dimensions for its respective style (single, queen, king, canopy, crib, children’s, bunk, hospital, etc). Homemade beds are acceptable, provided they are modeled after real beds. Some type of bed frame is necessary for all entries. Mattresses are not necessary but may be used (riders will appreciate the comfort, it’s a bumpy ride). All beds will be inspected by the race officials for safety. Beds may be disqualified if they appear too dangerous for participants and spectators.
2) The bed must be propelled by human power only. No motorized or mechanical propulsion assistance is allowed.
3) Wheels or castors should swivel to accommodate steering. The outside diameter of each wheel shall not be larger than (12”) inches in diameter.
4) Bed crews are limited to a maximum (5) running members, typically three pushers and two pullers. Others may run in front, beside or behind the bed to enhance a theme as long as they are not aiding in moving the bed.
5) Each bed must have at least (1) rider from start to finish; however, there is no limit to the number of riders in each bed. Riders are not allowed to assist in the propulsion of the bed, however, they may steer the bed.
6) ALL REGISTERED RACE PARTICIPANTS MUST BE AT LEAST 18 YEARS OF AGE FOR LIABILITY REASONS.
7) The race route is down Federal Street in Newburyport. Total distance is approximately ¼ mile start to finish line. Race starts at 6:00p.m. Thursday, August 3rd. Light Rain or shine. (Severe weather will postpone the race until Friday, August 4th, 6pm. This will be a race time decision)
8) Beds will race one at a time, order will be determined by race officials. Each bed will be timed individually by timekeepers.
9) Each bed must display the team name or sponsor logo for immediate identification and spectator viewing.
10) Please do NOT throw candy to kids…it only encourages them to come out into the street. Entrants are encouraged to decorate the bed in a manner to provoke outlandish, silly or socially relevant themes. It is suggested that the participants also dress in costumes enhancing their theme. Imagination is the key and it needs to be family friendly.
The registration fee is $30.00 per bed. Proceeds benefit the Newburyport Lions Club local charities (eye exams / glasses for the needy, annual Thanksgiving dinner, visual aids for the blind, high school scholarships, local food pantries, etc.) Contact Chad McDonald for more information at 978-314-9000 or firstname.lastname@example.org
The deadline for entry is 6pm on race day.